Kate Herrick lives in Madison, Wisconsin, USA. She enjoys reading, traditional Irish music, international languages (particularly Spanish, Irish Gaelic, and French), cooking/entertaining, and American football. She is also a Google-Fu master, specializing in SEO-related tactics and finding the unfindable. As a senior or lead business analyst for nine years, Kate brings thought leadership, business acumen, and a solid technical background to her work. She also has a tremendous sense of humor and a flair for the creative.
January 2012 to present
Business Systems Analyst
Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority (WHEDA)
The Wisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority (WHEDA) is a state-chartered quasi-governmental agency whose mission is to improve the lives of Wisconsinites via economic support of single and multi-family housing development as well as credit enhancement of private-sector financing sources for business development projects. WHEDA’s forty years in service to Wisconsin residents has provided billions of dollars in non-taxpayer funding for low-income housing development, urban blight mitigation, agricultural loan guarantees, small business financial services, and single family mortgages.
- Highly self-directed business and systems analyst hybrid with strong technical role as well as business process, strategy, and communications orientation.
- System administrator for economic development, agricultural lending, and finance systems; responsibilities include new user setup, data security model auditing, issue resolution, and documentation of system function, features, and structure.
- Project manager and business analyst relative to several technical efforts, including system enhancements in support of changes to business process and paradigm shifts, defect resolution and upgrade-related efforts.
- Development of business analytics methodology (i.e. executive scorecards, portfolio performance, legislative reporting, etc.) and supporting reports via Microsoft SQL Reporting Services and Crystal Reports XI.
- Production of externally-facing website content, including digital forms and user manuals for economic development financial services products.
- Key subject matter expert in matrix-managed environment relative to tax credit management and administration, customer relationship management, and digital document storage initiatives.
January 2010 to December 2011
Consulting Business Analyst
Beacon Technologies, Inc.
Beacon is among the top technology and business practice consulting organizations in the Midwest, supporting technology development, corporate supported open source, project management, process engineering and workflow management . Clients include companies like CUNA Mutual, Land’s End, and State of Wisconsin government.
- Collaborated with client resources and other consulting organizations to devise and document internal business processes related to product development and strategy. Leveraging extensive knowledge management and archiving background, lead the effort to construct and deploy clearly-documented and easy-to-use strategic and tactical product information reference materials for the leadership team and their subordinates.
- Provided analysis support for major compliance-related initiatives that served to better place the client products in the marketplace. Developed as-is and to-be process documentation and supported efforts to devise sustainable cross-organizational and cross-functional monitoring and notification systems within the organization.
March 2008 to March 2009
Consulting Business Analyst
Direct Technology provides professional consulting services, staffing, and hosting facilities for such entities as Microsoft Corporation, The World Bank, Sempra Energy, Pacific Gas & Electric, AT&T, Verizon Communications, U.S. Department of Labor, numerous states, and several foreign countries.
- Collaborated with Microsoft IT client resources and other consulting organizations to enhance and maintain customer-facing software licensing system whose purpose was to furnish administration interface for managing license-related benefits. Supported functional specification development, test, and deployment efforts.
- Supported Microsoft online services (i.e. MSN, Windows Live, etc.) finance resources in developing requirements and specifications for a number of disparate systems and reports used in financial performance planning and forecasting. Furnished services including elicitation of requirements, documentation, and functional specification development.
July 2006 to December 2007
Assistant Vice President and Lead Strategic Development Analyst-Enterprise Risk Management
Washington Mutual Bank
Washington Mutual Bank was the United States’ largest savings and loan, providing financial services to individuals, small businesses, and commercial concerns.
- Recruited as lead analyst and subject matter expert in support of the development of an automated credit evaluation and decision tool used to underwrite residential mortgages.
- Gathered business requirements, collaborated to define scope and effort sizing, and engaged cross-organizational resources in development effort.
- Documented requirements catalog, business problem statements, project change requests and other documentation in conjunction with the SDLC.
- Prepared comprehensive unit, SIT, and QA test plans, wrote test scripts, executed tests and documented outcomes.
- Final project (exceeding a year in length) has six requirements catalogs directed at various audiences comprised of approximately 900 individual requirement specifications and 1800 test cases executed by remote resources located both domestically and offshore (India, Philippines).
- Managed several remedial rapid response releases (requirements, testing, and documentation) in the last two quarters to align credit standards with fluctuating domestic mortgage and lending market conditions, all on time and without defects.
- Interfaced with and managed relationships/expectations with wide range of stakeholders at every level of the organization except the executive with emphasis on understanding business operation and goals and as liaison throughout the development effort.
- Volunteer canvasser in local neighborhoods in support of four major political campaigns.
- Avid reader, particularly historical biography, religious studies and travel.
- Accomplished gourmet and home entertainer.
- Expert Internet researcher.